At the time to decide which tools are situable for the surface that you want to paint, it´s enough to take care to the characteristics and dimensions of it. Of course, in your equipment cannot lack paintbrushes and rollers –in several sizes -, although it will also have other utensils that, besides perfecting the finishing, they´ll save you time and effort.
What to Use?
It will depends a lot to achieve a perfect finish, the correct election of the utensils.Here there are some advices.
Before putting hands to the work, dedicate some minutes to choose the kind of tools you need, it is not worthwhile to throw; keep in mind that each utensil is good to paint a particular surface, for that reason it is necessary to know what to choose.
For Walls and roofs:
Choose the paintbrush size or roller according to the dimensions of the surface.Thus, for wide areas –like walls and roofs -, the most convenient thing is to use big paintbrushes and rollers that allow to work faster. In the case that walls are perfectly flat, you can opt for pads, since, because of their rectangular form and plane faces,they allow a perfect finish.Also,you should have small paintbrushes at hand, similar to those but rectangular and with handle to contour the borders, baseboards and molds of doors and windows, where sometimes it is difficult to maneuver with big paintbrushes and rollers. All these tools are adapted mainly for water paints.
And over wood or metal:
In wooden or metal surfaces,in which will be applied vernish or enamel,i´ll be appropriate to use paintbrushes of different size.Good quality chinese sow paintbrushes ,will facilitate the work when you´ll have to vernish.
They can be of natural-fiber or synthetic and with long or short hair and polyurethane. Those of changeable muff facilitate the cleaning and their new use. There are, also, rollers with special textures for finishing with relief or drawings.
(1) Of short lamb wool. With tight strands, they allow a fine finish in flat surfaces. They are used with enamel or emulsion painting.
(2) Of long and soft hair. Also of lamb wool, they are used for rough surfaces, with emulsion painting mainly.
(3) Of polyurethane foam. They are suitable for flat surfaces, since if they are used in the rough ones they can break. Ideals to paint with lacquer.
(4)(5)(6) Changeable replacements facilitates the work, because they adapt to different areas.The small ones will allow you to accede to difficult points.
(7)(8) Of special texture, they allow different painting effects finishing.
All painter tools par excellence, they can be of natural or synthetic bristle and they are marketed in very varied sizes in order to adapt to the most common surfaces.The most common are:
(9) 4″ (10 centimeters) flat paintbrush of natural bristle for big surfaces. They are used with emulsion paintings.
(10)(11) 2″ and 3″ (5 and 7,5 cm) paintbrushes. The big ones for walls and the small ones to contour and lacquer.
(12) 1″ paintbrushes(2,5 cm), for a correct finish of corners, difficult points as rails or pipes and to paint on wood.
(13) 3″ flat paintbrushes( 7,5 cm). Of natural bristle. Appropriated for emulsion as well as oil paintings.
(14)(15)(16) Fine paintbrushes, also available in different sizes,used for details.
(1)(2) They have a cover of angora wool and another of sponge which are coupled to a plastic handle. They come in sizes from 1″ up to 6″(2,5 to 15 cm) wide.Because of their rectangular form and plane faces, they provide a very fine finish in flat surfaces or with texture without reliefs. They can be used with oil and emulsion paintings, although their use requires more dexterity.
Accessory and more
(3)(4) Special paintbrush roller for radiators:because of their form,all the sheets of the radiator can be painted easily.
(5) Roller extension: with this handle you will be able to reach even the highest areas.
(6) Protector shields: they are metal or plastic squares with handle to work on angles and corners.
(7) Paints mixer: either manual or drill coupled, it guarantees paint gets very blended.
(8) Masking tape:they come in different widths, used to protect marks, borders and baseboards before painting.
(9) Glass cleaners(razor blades): with them the remains of dry painting are easily eliminated in glasses and tiles.
(10) Cans opener:it allows to open even the most resistant paint can.
(11) Compressed air spray gun:Includes an air compressor, a deposit for the paint and the spray gun properly said,it´s ideal to paint big surfaces in a short time.
(12) Plastic or metal trays will be good to pour and fraction the paint.Those more practical have a square or rectangular form and they have a grill to drain the paintbrush or the roller.
If you are going to paint with roller,use the plastic trays, available in several measures according to the size of the utensil.